What is code?
How do I start?
- What’s the difference between computer science and programming? Computer Science – or Computing Science at the U of A – also teaches logical concepts beyond practical programming skills. It’s like the difference between math and accounting.
- Do I need a comp sci degree? You don’t need a degree for anything to learn how to do it, but if you want to do something professionally, a degree will help you prove you can. Coding is no different. Get a degree if you want a job as a software developer.
- Can I get a programmer job by just knowing how to program? It depends. Many jobs will have a technical interview component to determine if you know what you’re doing beyond just hammering out code. So you’ll have to know some basic algorithms and then be able to apply them.
- What are some resources to learn about those algorithms? Cracking the Code Interview and Programming Interviews Exposed are good books to learn from. I also recommend going to reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions to get career help.
- How do I get into game development? Coding is one way to get into game development. The U of A offers a great course called CMPUT 250, which is part of the Computer Game Development certificate. Also check out GameCamp Edmonton for their hackathons, where people come together, form teams, and build games in a few days — or even a few hours.
Python Code Example
You can try out the following sample code by pressing Run in the below window. Click Code to go back to the code. You can also edit things in the code to see what happens. Try reading the comments to figure out what things do.
Be careful of what you change things to. If you change the value of “a” to a different value without changing the while loop, the script might crash your web page because the loop will never exit.