Reports to: Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Contract: Part-time, from May 1, 2017 to April 30, 2018
Expected Hours: Approx. 10-25 hours per week
*Note: these hours may fluctuate from week to week.
Salary: $9,000 (monthly distribution to be negotiated)
The Webmaster shall be responsible for updating and maintaining the back-end of The Gateway’s website and listserv as required. The Webmaster shall also be responsible for maintaining The Gateway’s technical equipment (including, but not limited to servers, computers, and printers). The Webmaster must operate in accordance with the Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer on-site technical support in relation to updating editorial computer software, updating and cleaning out servers, cleaning Drop Box, and volunteer computers as necessary.
- Perform editorial computer maintenance, printer maintenance, and server maintenance as necessary. Communicate with the Executive Director about replacement of old technology as required.
- Liaise with external technical personnel in the U of A Students’ Union to ensure the continued operation and quality of The Gateway’s computer hardware, software, and networks.
- Develop new functionalities for The Gateway’s website as requested by the Editor-in-Chief (EIC) and Online Editor; work on long-term technical projects as required by the Business Unit or the EIC.
- Work in conjunction with the Online Editor to produce specialty webpages, including pages for The Getaway, the joke issue in April, and the Purity Test.
- Ensure the creation of a yearly Gateway online reader survey.
- Continually monitor all multimedia content and maintain a strict level of quality control.
- Perform other job-related job duties as required by the EIC.
- Must have excellent computer skills, especially pertaining to web programming and computer maintenance.
- Must be available to work various hours and willing to work on-call.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Society and University staff, students, and the general public.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to incoming Editor-in-Chief Oumar Salifou at email@example.com. Applications are due April 27, 2018 at 4:00pm.
Interviews will be scheduled for the following week. Applicants must present a five-minute pitch. This will followed by a 30-minute interview.